___________________________

-

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Long weekend update

Over Labor Day weekend, I mostly labored.

On Saturday, my dad came to visit and we worked on my old house. We washed the kitchen walls to prepare them for painting, which took a lot longer than I thought it would, and I painted one kitchen wall and half of another. Kathy painted trim in the dining room. We also spackled and sanded quite a bit in the bathroom and a little in the kitchen, and my dad tried to fix the bathroom light socket that pops and crackles when a bulb is screwed in far enough to light. We also mowed the front yard, and I trimmed the bushes by the road. They look much better.

Sunday was my friend Jan's wedding. Jan is an old co-worker of mine. She married Dan, a guy she met through contra dancing. They had a Quaker wedding. I'd never attended one before, and I really enjoyed it. Everyone sits in silence, and anyone can speak if they feel moved to do so. It was interesting to hear people's memories and good wishes and thoughts on marriage. The reception was held in a historic barn, and Hogeye Navvy played. They used to play at the Aristocrat every Saturday night, and I went to hear them with Jan a few times. There was also some contra dancing, and I danced one dance, which was fun. It was really good to catch up with some old co-workers, too.

On Labor Day, my dad came to visit again. He changed the oil in the Honda, and Steph and I finished painting most of the kitchen while my dad washed the bathroom walls. My co-worker Robin put up the tile from the backsplash that had fallen down; he didn't have to do as much wall reconstruction behind it as I thought he might. My dad and I painted the bathroom ceiling and gave it part of a second coat.

The kitchen still has a few places left to paint, and some of it probably needs a second coat. The bathroom walls need to be painted, and some of the dining room trim needs a second coat. Then I need to clean up in all of those rooms, as well as the living room and part of the basement. It's coming along, but I'm impatient for it to be done.

No comments: