Today we had a plumber come to inspect the plumbing at our potential new house. He found that the sewer pipe is indeed leaking, as the general inspector had indicated, but that is because it has a plug missing; a brick is where the plug should be. (What kind of person plugs a pipe with a brick?!) Also, the kitchen faucet doesn't work. We knew this, but it was nice to hear that it's just the faucet and valves and it isn't a symptom of a larger problem. I was very happy with the results of the plumbing inspection -- there were a few other minor things, but nothing on the order of the plumbing nightmare I faced when I moved into my house almost seven years ago.
Next was a roofer. He gave us a high estimate that didn't include the gutters or balcony work. One more roofer will be providing an estimate before the end of the week.
After the roofer left, we discussed the offer the sellers had made for roof repairs with our agent and decided on a counteroffer. As we were leaving, the seller's agent showed up and we talked with him. Our agent told him the number we'd decided upon and he called the seller, who wasn't answering his phone. We left to go to lunch with our agent, and by the time we all got to the restaurant, the seller had called his agent, his agent had called our agent, and our agent had news -- we have a deal! We close at the end of May sometime.
Next order of business: selling Steph's house.